Historical Paintings of Woods Hole and Falmouth by F. L. Gifford

Gifford's Map of Woods Hole as of 1845

[Note: Gifford prepared this map for an exhibit of his paintings held in New York in 1932. Unfortunately, the numbers that identify the houses on the map are small, but they should be legible on the largest image.]

Gifford's Map of Woods Hole
Click here to see an 800x620 pixel version.
Click here to see a 1378x1072 pixel version.

Key to the Houses Identified on the Map of Woods Hole as of 1845 prepared by Franklin L. Gifford

0 — Sheep shed on Long Neck.
1 — William Robinson's house (father of Prince Robinson).
2 — Seth Robinson's house (called the "Yellow House").
3 — Seth Robinson's barn.
4 — Sanford Harendeen's house (boss cooper for E. Swift, shipowner).
5 — Seth Robinson's wharf (a small boat wharf).
6 — John Robinson's house and barn.
7 — Braddock Gifford's house and barn (blacksmith who did ship ironwork).
8 — Marine railway house (railway for small vessels).
9 — Sanford Harendeen's cooper shop.
10 — Small stone try house and bleaching house where sperm oil was prepared for the manufacture of spermaceti candles. This house had a glass roof under which pans of sperm oil were placed to be bleached by the sun.
11 — Stone building of the Candle Factory built about 1830.
12 — Haul-out for small boats.
13 — Bake House where hardtack was baked and packed for whaling ships.
14 — Cooper Shop and Commercial Hall with sail loft in the third story.
15 — Braddock Gifford's blacksmith shop for ships' ironwork.
16 — Marshall Grew's house and barn (building of whale boats).
16 1/2 — Marshall Grew's boatshop.
17 — Ezekial Swift. Sr.'s house.
18 — Andrew Y. Davis’ barn (formerly owned by Joam Hatch).
18 1/2 — Andrew Y. Davis' house (formerly owned by Joam Hatch).
19 — Captain Benjamin Edwards' house (Captain of the Sloop "Active", a U.S. Government buoy setter).
20 — Martha Holly's house.
21 — Barnabas Hatch's house, (built in 1700).
22 — Barnabas Hatch's barn (built in 1700).
23 — Mr. Young's house (formerly the home of Robert Hammond).
24 — Joam Hatch's house and carpenter shop.
25 — Captain Thomas G. Davis' house.
26 — Joseph Parker's stable and shed.
27 — Joseph Parker's Tavern (later owned and managed by John Webster as a hotel called the "Webster House", which he eventually sold to Mr. Hopkins who operated it as the "Nobska Inn" and sold in turn to Mr. Blossom in whose ownership the building burned in August 1858).
28 — Jabez Davis. Sr.'s house.
29 — William Sanford's barn.
30 — William Sanford's house (later owned by Captain Joseph Gardner).
31 — Mrs. Betsey Bradley's house (daughter of John Weeks).
32 — Owen Eldridge's house.
33 — Ward M. Parker's house (later owned by Joseph S. Fay). The first Woods Hole Post Office was in the garden near this house.
34 — Edmund Davis' house.
35 — Ward M. Parker's house (later owned by Christopher Bearse).
36 — Delilah Davis' house (owned by Ward M. Parker and later by Joseph S. Fay).
37 — Ward M. Parker's barn.
38 — Simeon Hamblin's house and barn.
39 — Reuben Hamblin's house.
40 — Ephraim Eldridge's house.
41 — The Little Red Schoolhouse.
42 — Edmund Davis' carpenter shop.
43 — John Webster's residence.
44 — Captain Calvin Child's house (built in 1828).
45 — Colonel Bourne's storehouse for salt fish.
46 — Thomas Hinckley. Sr.'s house.
47 — Colonel Bourne's wharf and store.
48 — Abner Davis' barn.
49 — Abner Davis’ house (later owned by Joam Hatch who sold it to Colonel Sargent).
53 — Spar shed and storehouse on Bar Neck Wharf.
54 — Salt works on the shore of Little Harbor.
55 — Bar Neck Wharf (used in whaling industry and ship building). Present site of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.