“Shell Study” by Susan Joslin is part of a new exhibit of nature drawings by students of Julia S. Child that will be on display at the the museum until it closes October 12.
Ms. Child is a biological illustrator and her work has appeared in books, scientific journals and textbooks. She has taught at the Children’s School of Science for many years. She also teaches a nature drawing class for adults, whose works are shown in this exhibit. Her students’ drawings are in colored pencil.
Gallery Two: Our new exhibit, Village Views: Photographs and Memorabilia of Woods Hole in the 1890s, in gallery two features photos by Baldwin Coolidge of Woods Hole in 1895, as well as artifacts, photos, clothing and other items that present a picture of Woods Hole life in the late 19th century.
In the 1880s Mr. Coolidge produced stunning images of Maine and New Hampshire, and around 1890, he began photographing Boston, Lawrence and later Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and the Cape. He took numerous images of the village of Woods Hole, especially investigators and scientists at the MBL. He continued coming to Woods Hole in the late 1890s and into the early 20th century.
Because of his work in Woods Hole, the Museum Archives owns many original prints of Baldwin. In 1998, the museum printed a collection of his photos, “New England Views,” which is still available for purchase at the Museum shop.
Gallery One: Continuing this season in the museum’s gallery one is The History of Woods Hole, the story of whaling, science, architecture, hurricanes, ferries, railroads, tourism, local industries, and more, using photographs, documents, artifacts, recordings and tools. The core of this exhibit is a timeline describing key people and significant events in the settlement and development of Woods Hole, covering the time period covered from the 1600s to the present.
This year, the exhibit will include a display on the 100th anniversary of the Woods Hole Community Association.
Below is a list of exhibits at our Museum over the years. The first exhibit of the Woods Hole Historical Museum was held in 1974 in Endeavor House on School Street. The following year, in 1975, an exhibit was held at Fisher House on Church Street.
In 1976, the Museum moved into Bradley House, and since then, there have usually, but not always, been at least two exhibits each year, one in each gallery.
The Woods Hole Model, a permanent exhibit in the third gallery, was begun in the late 1970’s and completed ten years later.
The list was compiled after a search through the minutes of the Museum steering committee. Those minutes were not always completely clear, but we have done the best we can to interpret them. We have some wonderful exhibits coming up, so be sure to stop by the museum to see what’s new!